Today’s Q&A on is about handling financial affairs for the elderly

Question:  “My sister and I have powers of attorney for our mother.  Mom also has her assets in a trust and we are joint trustees in the trust.  We need to take over bill paying and handle financial matters for her.  Would you please answer the following four (4) short elder care financial questions for us?”

1.  When we pay bills, can we sign our own names to the checks since we are joint trustees on her accounts, including her checking?

Answer:   If the checking account is in the trust, depending on the terms of the trust agreement and your state trust code, either one or both trustees should sign the checks in their own name(s) as trustee(s).

2.  When depositing her checks from her long term care insurance company, do we endorse the checks with our names or hers? 

Answer:  How checks are to be endorsed depends on to whom they are payable.  Generally, LTC insurance benefit checks are payable to the insured, in which case they should be endorsed either in your name, followed by “agent under power of attorney”, or in some states and depending on the terms of the power of attorney, it may be proper for you to sign her name, then “by [your name], agent under power of attorney”.

Personally, I am uncomfortable with anyone signing someone else’s name, so I recommend that the agent sign his or her own name, followed by agent under power of attorney.  (Agent is the more modern title, but many powers of attorney still use the title “attorney-in-fact” or even just “attorney” for the agent, so use the terminology preferred in your state and used in your mother’s document.)

3.  Do the powers of attorney cover her trust assets or do we just use our rights as joint trustees in dealing with her banks? 

Answer:  In general, no.  There may be exceptions, but in general, powers of attorney granted by an individual are ineffective at controlling transactions within a trust.  The trustees are the fiduciaries responsible for transactions with trust assets and income.

4.  Do we have to send copies of the powers of attorney to her utility and insurance companies in order to have her bills sent to us to pay?”  

Answer:  If utility and insurance accounts are in your mother’s personal name as an individual, you will deal with them by power of attorney.  The companies will probably require a copy of your mother’s power of attorney in order to release information to you about her accounts and to enable you to make any changes in her accounts, such as to change the mailing address.

Martin C. Womer, Esq.
Maine Center for Elder Law, LLC
Kennebunk, Maine  04043
Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Maine chapter


Stay in Touch with Elder Care Matters

 Facebook  Twitter  Google Plus  Linked  Blogger

eNewsletter Sign Up

ElderCare Answers

If you need answers to your elder care questions, send your questions to us at:

Answers are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners, some of America's TOP Elder Care Professionals who have years of experience in helping families plan for and deal with a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services.

All Q&A's are posted on the homepage of

ElderCare Matters Articles

ElderCare Matters Articles are useful and up-to-date Elder Care / Senior Care articles that are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners to help you plan for and deal with your family's elder care matters.

If you help familes plan for or deal with elder care matters, then you owe it to yourself and to families across America to become a professional member of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on the many Elder Care / Senior Care Directories that are sponsored by this National Alliance of Elder Care Professionals.

For additional information about professional membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, (including the many benefits of becoming one of our ElderCare Matters Partners) and to download an Application for your Basic, Premium or Partner Membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, visit: ElderCare Matters Alliance.