Today’s Q&A on is about providing long term care services for parents

Question:  I wish to provide my parents with caregiving services.  May I charge for the long term care services that I provide, and will these services be tax deductible for my parents?

Answer:  Like so many things in the tax code, the answer is: It depends.

Qualified long term care services normally qualify as medical expenses that are eligible to be deducted as itemized deductions on a taxpayer’s individual income tax return to the extent they exceed insurance reimbursements or any other reimbursement. This is trickier than it first appears because VA disability pension, which some chronically ill taxpayers receive, is a payment of unreimbursed medical expenses and only personal care expenses in excess of the VA disability pension received are, therefore, deductible.

The Internal Revenue Code defines “qualified long-term care services” to include personal care services, which are required by a chronically ill individual AND are provided pursuant to a plan of care prescribed by a licensed health care practitioner. A chronically ill individual is one that has been certified by a licensed health care practitioner to either be unable  to perform at least two of the activities of daily living OR requires substantial supervision to protect such individual from threats to health and safety due to severe cognitive impairment.

Finally, the Internal Revenue Code prescribes one more requirement for care providers that are related to the chronically ill taxpayer. For payments made to a spouse or relative of the  chronically ill individual, the payments are only deductible if the caregiver is a licensed professional (i.e. doctor, registered professional nurse, or licensed social worker). Relatives that must meet this additional requirement are:

Descendants (including Sons and daughters-in-law)
Sibling (including step-siblings and Brothers and sisters-in-law)
Ancestors  (including Fathers and mothers-in-law)
Nieces  and nephews
Aunts  and uncles

Although the list is quite comprehensive, notice that some relatives are omitted,  such as:

Grandsons-in-law and Granddaughters-in-law
Children of nieces and nephews
Aunts-in-law and Uncles-in-law

To find additional help with this and other elder care matters, go to – America’s National Directory of Elder Care / Senior Care Resources.

An ElderCare Matters Partner
Stephen J. Bailey, Esq.
Birmingham, Alabama
An ElderCare Matters Partner


Stay in Touch with Elder Care Matters

 Facebook  Twitter  Google Plus  Linked  Blogger

eNewsletter Sign Up

ElderCare Answers

If you need answers to your elder care questions, send your questions to us at:

Answers are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners, some of America's TOP Elder Care Professionals who have years of experience in helping families plan for and deal with a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services.

All Q&A's are posted on the homepage of

ElderCare Matters Articles

ElderCare Matters Articles are useful and up-to-date Elder Care / Senior Care articles that are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners to help you plan for and deal with your family's elder care matters.

If you help familes plan for or deal with elder care matters, then you owe it to yourself and to families across America to become a professional member of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on the many Elder Care / Senior Care Directories that are sponsored by this National Alliance of Elder Care Professionals.

For additional information about professional membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, (including the many benefits of becoming one of our ElderCare Matters Partners) and to download an Application for your Basic, Premium or Partner Membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, visit: ElderCare Matters Alliance.