Question of the Day on "My elderly parents may be eligible to receive the VA’s A&A pension benefit. Who do you recommend we contact to help us with the application process and to help us navigate all the Veterans Administration paperwork?"

Answer:  The VA’s Aid & Attendance (A&A) benefit is available to war-time veterans who need assistance with activities of daily living, such as bathing, feeding, dressing, or protection from the hazards of the daily environment.  The assistance can be provided in the veteran’s own home, in a board and care home (also referred to as a group home or RCFE (Retirement Care Facility for the Elderly)) or in an assisted living facility.  This pension provides a married veteran $1,949/month, single veteran $1,644/month, or veteran’s surviving spouse $1,056/month tax-free income to help pay for care. 

In addition to being a wartime veteran and needing assistance there are also income and asset limitations to qualifying for the program. 

The claims process can be very frustrating if you have not been trained and do not understand the law.  You may be denied outright or your claim may take many more months to complete because of information requests and exchanges between you and the VA.  I strongly recommend that you use the services of a VA accredited individual or organization, which includes state and county veterans service agencies. 

The VA recognizes three groups to assist veterans in the preparation, presentation and filing of claims.  VA accredited attorneys, accredited Veterans Service Officers (VSO) and claims agents.  You can find a list of these groups by city and state at the VA’s Office of General Counsel’s Accreditation website.  It is against the law to charge for services to help prepare and file the claim. 

Whomever you seek out for advice should understand not only the VA laws and rules, but also those for Medicaid (Medi-Cal in CA) and tax laws.  These programs are very different and what may be acceptable under one program may have adverse consequences under the other programs.  The right professional will help you develop the most appropriate planning to meet your specific needs.

To locate experts in your state who can help you with these elder care matters, go to: – America’s online source for elder care experts plus information & answers about a wide range of elder care matters.

Heather R. Chubb, Life Transitions Lawyer
The Chubb Law Firm
Gold River, California  95670
Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, California chapter

Stay in Touch with Elder Care Matters

 Facebook  Twitter  Google Plus  Linked  Blogger

eNewsletter Sign Up

ElderCare Answers

If you need answers to your elder care questions, send your questions to us at:

Answers are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners, some of America's TOP Elder Care Professionals who have years of experience in helping families plan for and deal with a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services.

All Q&A's are posted on the homepage of

ElderCare Matters Articles

ElderCare Matters Articles are useful and up-to-date Elder Care / Senior Care articles that are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners to help you plan for and deal with your family's elder care matters.

If you help familes plan for or deal with elder care matters, then you owe it to yourself and to families across America to become a professional member of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on the many Elder Care / Senior Care Directories that are sponsored by this National Alliance of Elder Care Professionals.

For additional information about professional membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, (including the many benefits of becoming one of our ElderCare Matters Partners) and to download an Application for your Basic, Premium or Partner Membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, visit: ElderCare Matters Alliance.