Question of the Day on "An acquaintance, an 86 year old veteran, has become frail and unsafe in his home. His exploration into a retirement / nursing home facility is beyond his financial ability to pay. The VA has turned down his request for financial assistance because his Social Security and retirement puts him in the "too much income" bracket. What can be done to help this gentleman?"

Answer:  Although I don’t know exactly what benefit this gentleman applied for through the VA, I would highly recommend that he look into the Aid and Attendance pension to help pay for assisted living.  Aid and Attendance is available for veterans (or their widowed spouses) who served at least 90 days of active duty, with one day during a period of wartime.  They do not have to have been in combat.  

To be eligible, the veteran (or his widowed spouse) must have recurring medical expenses or care costs such as the Medicare premium, supplemental insurance premiums, prescription drugs, etc.  The VA also allows the monthly rent at an assisted living community as a medical expense if the veteran’s doctor states that he needs assistance with some of his daily activities, such as making meals, driving, bathing, dressing, taking medications, or if he needs a protective environment due to dementia. 

If the veteran moved to assisted living, that monthly cost may lower his income enough for him to qualify.  I would recommend that your acquaintance contact an attorney who is accredited with the VA and talk with that attorney about how to qualify. The maximum pension for a married veteran is $1949 per month and the maximum for a single veteran is $1644 per month.   If he obtains this pension, these tax-free benefits will help pay for his assisted living so that he can get the care that he needs.

To locate competent elder care professionals who are located near You and can help you with this type of elder care matter, go to: – A FREE online source to find elder care experts across America plus information & answers about a wide range of elder care matters.

Angela N. Manz, Attorney at Law
The Law Firm of Angela N. Manz
Virginia Beach, VA  23452
Member of the ElderCare Matters Alliance, Virginia chapter

Stay in Touch with Elder Care Matters

 Facebook  Twitter  Google Plus  Linked  Blogger

eNewsletter Sign Up

ElderCare Answers

If you need answers to your elder care questions, send your questions to us at:

Answers are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners, some of America's TOP Elder Care Professionals who have years of experience in helping families plan for and deal with a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services.

All Q&A's are posted on the homepage of

ElderCare Matters Articles

ElderCare Matters Articles are useful and up-to-date Elder Care / Senior Care articles that are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners to help you plan for and deal with your family's elder care matters.

If you help familes plan for or deal with elder care matters, then you owe it to yourself and to families across America to become a professional member of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on the many Elder Care / Senior Care Directories that are sponsored by this National Alliance of Elder Care Professionals.

For additional information about professional membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, (including the many benefits of becoming one of our ElderCare Matters Partners) and to download an Application for your Basic, Premium or Partner Membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, visit: ElderCare Matters Alliance.