Question of the Day: "My husband and I live in Georgia. He is 67 years old and suffers from a disabling neurological disorder. He receives $450 a month from his retirement pension and $1,500 a month in Social Security retirement benefits. We own a home worth $250,000, which is paid for. We have one car, a 2007 Lincoln Continental. My husband has an IRA worth $350,000, and a term life insurance policy worth $50,000. I think my husband will need nursing home care in the next couple of years. I am healthy right now, but I cannot continue to be his full time care giver. We are afraid we will lose everything before he qualifies for Medicaid. What are your suggestions?"

Answer:  Your situation is not uncommon, and actually, you are in pretty good shape financially for your husband to transition into a long term healthcare or nursing home facility.  In order for your husband to qualify for Medicaid he must be 65 years or older, and in his case, disabled. He must have a monthly income of no more than $2,022, which he does at $1,950. Another factor is the Community Spouse Resource Allowance (CSRA), which for 2011 is limited to $109,560. Since your principal residence, your car, your husband’s IRA, and his term life insurance policy are all exempt resources, your husband should qualify for Medicaid. However, allow me to add that if the principal residence is held in Joint Tenancy with Right of Survivor, you and your husband should consider placing it in your name in Fee Simple. There is no penalty on spousal gifts, and when your husband passes, you will not have to worry about Medicaid’s Estate Recovery seeking his share of the property as reimbursement for benefits provided. 

To locate experts in your state who can help you with these elder care matters, go to:

Dennis Duncan, Attorney at Law
The Law Offices of Dennis L. Duncan, P.C.
Macon, Georgia  31210

Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Georgia chapter

Stay in Touch with Elder Care Matters

 Facebook  Twitter  Google Plus  Linked  Blogger

eNewsletter Sign Up

ElderCare Answers

If you need answers to your elder care questions, send your questions to us at:

Answers are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners, some of America's TOP Elder Care Professionals who have years of experience in helping families plan for and deal with a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services.

All Q&A's are posted on the homepage of

ElderCare Matters Articles

ElderCare Matters Articles are useful and up-to-date Elder Care / Senior Care articles that are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners to help you plan for and deal with your family's elder care matters.

If you help familes plan for or deal with elder care matters, then you owe it to yourself and to families across America to become a professional member of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on the many Elder Care / Senior Care Directories that are sponsored by this National Alliance of Elder Care Professionals.

For additional information about professional membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, (including the many benefits of becoming one of our ElderCare Matters Partners) and to download an Application for your Basic, Premium or Partner Membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, visit: ElderCare Matters Alliance.