Today’s Q&A on is about a new website,

Question:  “In my opinion, the more Elder Care Resources there are available to help families with their elder care matters the better decisions they will be able to make about this most important issue. My quesion is whether ElderCare Matters (since you are already an established company) would consider financially sponsoring another website, one that would be an alphabetical directory of some of America’s top elder care websites so that families across America could also refer to this resource for additional help with their elder care matters?”

Answer:  What a great idea!  It is our pleasure to be able to financially sponsor another elder care resource for families across America to use to make better elder care decisions.

In fact, several weeks ago we launched, a FREE, secure online elder care resource that includes many of America’s top elder care websites.  This is where families can find an alphabetical listing of company websites that have information about a wide range of elder care / senior care services, including Elder Law, Estate Planning, Financial Planning, Daily Money Management, Geriatric Care Management, Home Care, Long Term Care Insurance, Senior Housing, etc.

Feel free to bookmark this online listing of elder care websites, and don’t forget to check back often for additional websites that soon will be listed on, an elder care resource that includes many of America’s top elder care websites.

Phillip G. Sanders, MBA, MSHA, CPA
Founder & CEO, ElderCare Matters, LLC
The national ElderCare Matters Alliance


Question of the Day on ElderCareMatters: "Why is it important for me to have a Power of Attorney?"

Answer:  We all can expect to age and none of us are immune to health crises that may leave us incapable of properly handling personal financial matters. You want to make certain that someone you have complete trust in (known as your agent) will manage your affairs if you are unable to do so. The Power of Attorney (POA)  is a way to do this.

A POA is an extremely powerful document that your agent can use for a variety of Medicaid, estate and long term care planning needs, both foreseen and unforeseen.  Once you choose your agent – someone you have full, total and complete trust in – your POA authorizes that agent to act on your behalf to perform such functions as drawing checks on your bank accounts for specific purposes, append signatures to routine correspondence, act as a signatory to real estate closings and buy and sell financial securities. 


After your possible incapacity, your agent will be empowered to sign your name and is obligated to act in your best financial interest at all times and in accordance with your wishes.


Paul T. Czepiga, Esq., CELA
Czepiga Daly Dillman, LLC
Newington, Vernon, Wethersfield, CT
Charter Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Connecticut chapter

Today’s Q&A on is about Geriatric Care Management

Question: “My elderly parents live in Oklahoma and I live in Texas. I want them to move into an assisted living facility or to an elder adult community, but they want to stay in their own home. I have heard of Geriatric Care Managers, but I don’t really know how my parents would benefit from their services. Can you provide insight into how these elder care experts could perhaps help my parents stay in their home and help me not worry about them?”

Answer: Perhaps you’ve noticed memory loss, a decline in what your loved one is able to physically do or increased medical issues. This can be frightening, whether you live out-of-state, or nearby. Sometimes we think that having them move into some type of assisted living situation is the best or only solution, but that isn’t always the case. You and your parents can benefit greatly from the services of a geriatric care manager who can help you sort through appropriate options while considering your parents’ and family’s values. A geriatric care manager (Care Manager) is a health care professional who strives to offer objective information and alternatives to support the well-being, safety and independence of your loved one.

Care Managers help elders and their families by:

  • Providing a comprehensive assessment to determine if living at home is a safe option. If not, care managers can offer professional, objective opinions to assist families as they sort through the decision process for elder care residential options;
  • Arranging and managing in-home services to assist with health, home and personal needs;
  • Providing short and long-term support to families engaged in local or long-distance care giving;
  • Coordinating health care appointments and necessary medical follow-up;
  • Preventing unnecessary or repetitive medical care;
  • Helping to navigate complex medical systems, diseases and insurance issues;
  • Assisting primary caregivers in the home, across town or at a distance, in coping with emotional stress caused by elder care;
  • Offering education and support to manage the disease process (Alzheimer’s, Cancer, etc.);
  • Giving caregivers the information necessary to make early informed decisions about health care needs before an acute situation arises;
  • Supplying an extra pair of eyes and hands to help with the care of a loved one.

Gina Fisher, LCSW
Executive Director of Clinical Operations
University of Oklahoma College of Nursing – Life Stage Solutions
Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Oklahoma chapter


Today’s Q&A on is about VA Benefits for assisted living

Question:  My 87 year old mother is in declining health and needs to move to assisted living.  I’m worried about the cost because she’s on a fixed income.  My father served during World War II.  Is she eligible for any kind of Veteran’s benefit?

Answer:  The surviving spouse of a veteran who served at least 90 days of consecutive active duty service, at least one day of which was during wartime, may qualify for a non-service connected pension from the Veterans Administration.  The surviving spouse must have been married to the veteran for at least one year (or have had children by the veteran if married less than one year) and been living with the veteran throughout the marriage and at the time of the veteran’s death. 

If your mother has limited assets, and if the cost of assisted living, combined with her other out-of-pocket medical expenses, will exceed or come close to her total annual gross income, she should be eligible for a widow’s pension.

Debra A. Robinson, Esq.
Robinson & Miller, P.C.
Alpharetta, Georgia  30005
Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Georgia chapter

Today’s Q&A on is about Applying for a Guardianship or Conservatorship

Question:  “I need information about the process to apply for a Guardianship or a Conservatorship. Can you please provide this information?”

Answer:  To initiate a guardianship or conservatorship, an interested party must file a petition to the court. The petition will state the petitioner’s relationship to the prospective ward. The petition also will state facts that show that the proposed ward is incapacitated, and the need for a guardian. The petition should detail the ward’s property and assets. The judge will examine the petition and hold a hearing that the proposed ward must attend. After the hearing, the judge will decide if the proposed ward needs a guardian, conservator or both. Wards have the right to appeal a guardianship or conservatorship determination.

Once appointed, a guardian or conservator must be discharged by the judge to end the guardianship or conservatorship. Reasons for discharge include the death of the ward or conservatee, the ward’s return to capacity or the guardian or conservator’s inability to fulfill his or her duties.

Stephen O. Allaire, Esq.
Partner in the Law Firm of
Ruggiero, Ziogas & Allaire
Bristol, CT  06010
Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Connecticut chapter

Today’s Q&A on is about Daily Money Management

Question:  “What would be a reasonable hourly wage to pay someone to take care of financial and household management for my senior mother here in Sacramento County, CA?”

Answer:  It sounds like your mother needs a daily money manager (DMM).  DMM’s help people handle their daily finances and, depending on their individual practice, a variety of other administrative tasks.  Rates will vary based on the tasks they handle as well as geographic area and other factors.  Whatever the rate they charge, any potential DMM should thoroughly discuss the scope of the work you need and agree on a price before any work is done.  Be sure you understand how the DMM bills and what charges you will be billed for. 

Be sure you hire someone who has experience in handling personal financial matters as well as being insured.  This is not a time to hire the cheapest person you can find.  You want to be sure your mother’s affairs will be handled correctly and ethically. 

Although there is no licensing for Daily Money Managers, many are members of The American Association of Daily Money Managers and are members of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance. 

You can find many Daily Money Managers on – America’s #1 source for Elder Care Experts, Information & Answers.

Cindy Lail, DMM
Checks & Balances, Personal Financial Services, LLC
Lawrenceville, GA  30044
Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Georgia chapter

Today’s Q&A on is about Aging in Place

Question:  “With the high price of nursing home care and assisted living, our family is considering making the necessary modifications to Mom’s home so that she can “age in place” there.  Specifically, what would we need to consider in order to proceed with this elder care housing plan for our mother?”

Answer:  The first step should be to have an assessment done on Mom. This should include the Aging In Place Specialist (AIPS), the family members involved, and any doctors or health care professionals that may be needed. This will inform the AIPS if there are any current health issues or if there are progressive or other conditions that require home modifications. The assessment would also tell the AIPS the wants and wishes of the client, along with a time frame for completing the modifications. 

Details of the physical structure of the existing home will be needed. If blueprints are not available, the AIPS or contractor should make detailed drawings of  the room sizes and layout. 

Determine who the “decision maker” is.  Is it mom, the children, a spouse or a combination? 

A budget is important to all parties concerned. Are the modifications being done strictly for health care reasons specifically designed for one person, is it more of a universal design in general that is wanted, and are we trying to upgrade the home at the same time? These factors will help determine what can be done in the budget, and the priorities. 

When these steps are completed, specific recommendations can be made about modifying Mom’s home so that she can Age in Place there.

Harry Felsenthal, Certified Aging in Place Specialist
Licensed Contractor
Call Harry Enterprises, Inc.
Lutz, Florida  33549
Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Florida chapter

Today’s Q&A on addresses an Alaska family’s online search for elder care experts

Question:  “My family and I live in Alaska and we need help with a host of elder care issues, including elder law, geriatric care and senior housing.  Unfortunately, in reviewing the professional listings that are found on  for Alaska, there are many “Coming Soon” pages.  Can you please tell me what this means and let me know when I can expect to see more professionals listed for Alaska.  Please don’t forget about our 49th state.  We too desperately need help with our elder care matters, and we thank you very much for providing us with this wonderful online elder care resource.”

Answer:  We at realize that there are many families like yours across America who rely on us to help them locate competent, caring elder care experts who are located near them and can help them plan for and deal with their elder care matters. 

With this in mind, we are reaching out to ALL competent, caring elder care experts across  America and encouraging ALL of them to join ElderCare Matters and to be listed on – America’s #1 online resource for “Elder Care Experts”, Information & Answers about a wide range of Elder Care Matters.

Simply put, our goal at is to be able to provide your family (in Alaska) and ALL families (across America) with a comprehensive list of America’s top elder care experts in 83 different elder care service categories. 

Soon this will be a reality as more and more Elder Care Experts from across America continue to join ElderCare Matters and actively participate on our elder care website,

Thank you for your support of

Phillip G. Sanders, MBA, MSHA, CPA
Founder & CEO of ElderCare Matters, LLC


Today’s Q&A on discusses our role in linking families across America to competent elder care experts

Every day, more and more families from across America are relying on to help them find competent “Elder Care Experts” who are located near them and who can help them with a wide range of elder care matters, such as legal services, financial planning, home care, senior housing, adult day care, geriatric care management, money management, insurance services, aging in place services, etc. 

Below are just a few of the many emails that receives daily from families across America requesting help with their elder care matters:

  • I am looking for help for my 77 year sister who lives in Louisiana and has been abandoned by her children.  Can you help me? 
  • I need to locate someone to provide home care for my wife.  We live in New Jersey.  Can you help us? 
  • We need to find senior transportation services in the Miami area.  Can you help us? 
  • My mother has been injured in an Assisted Living Home in Arizona and we need an attorney with whom to discuss this legal matter.  Can you help us? 
  • Can you help me locate elder care experts in the Jacksonville, Florida area?

If you are a competent, caring professional who helps families plan for and/or deal with elder care matters, then you should definitely become a professional member of the national Elder Care Matters Alliance and you should be listed on – America’s #1 source for Elder Care Experts, Information & Answers about Elder Care Matters.  Professional membership is just $15/month.

To request an Application for Membership to the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, send us an email at:

Phillip G. Sanders, MBA, MSHA, CPA
Founder & CEO, ElderCare Matters, LLC

Today’s Q&A on discusses how to get listed on this elder care online resource

Question:  I am a practicing elder law attorney with more than 15 years experience helping families with their elder care matters. How would I go about becoming a member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance so that I may be listed on and so that I may be a resource for families who visit this website and need my expertise to help them plan for and/or deal with their elder care matters?

Answer:  ALL competent, caring elder care professionals across America are invited to apply for membership to the national ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on – America’s #1 online source for “Elder Care Experts”, information & answers about elder care matters.

There are currently more than 2,000 professional members of this national Elder Care Alliance, including the following:

  • Elder Law Attorneys
  • Estate Planning Advisors
  • Financial & Investment Advisors
  • Geriatric Care Managers
  • Long-Term Care Insurance Professionals
  • Daily Money Managers
  • Seniors Real Estate Specialists
  • Home Care Agencies
  • Assisted Living Communities
  • and many other elder care experts

To request an Application for Membership in the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, send an email directly to:

I look forward to your participation in Elder Care Matters!

Phillip G. Sanders, MBA, MSHA, CPA
Founder & CEO of ElderCare Matters, LLC (America’s #1 source for “Elder Care Experts”, Information & Answers about Elder Care Matters)

Recent Posts

Stay in Touch with Elder Care Matters

 Facebook  Twitter  Google Plus  Linked  Blogger

eNewsletter Sign Up

ElderCare Answers

If you need answers to your elder care questions, send your questions to us at:

Answers are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners, some of America's TOP Elder Care Professionals who have years of experience in helping families plan for and deal with a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services.

All Q&A's are posted on the homepage of

ElderCare Matters Articles

ElderCare Matters Articles are useful and up-to-date Elder Care / Senior Care articles that are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners to help you plan for and deal with your family's elder care matters.

If you help familes plan for or deal with elder care matters, then you owe it to yourself and to families across America to become a professional member of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on the many Elder Care / Senior Care Directories that are sponsored by this National Alliance of Elder Care Professionals.

For additional information about professional membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, (including the many benefits of becoming one of our ElderCare Matters Partners) and to download an Application for your Basic, Premium or Partner Membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, visit: ElderCare Matters Alliance.