Michigan Attorney & State Coordinator Answers Today’s Elder Care Question

Question: “My mother is 78 years old and has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease. She and my father (who is 79 years old) live in a small town, have a paid off home, and both receive small pensions and Social Security. My question is how I, the daughter and an only child, should start getting information about the elder care benefits to which my parents may be entitled. For example, I’m not very knowledgeable about Medicaid, Medicare, VA Benefits, etc. With whom should I talk to get this type of elder care information BEFORE I actually need it? By the way, I sincerely appreciate all ElderCareMatters.com does to help families like mine across America with Elder Care Matters. This is a wonderful online resource for families. Thank you.”

Answer: I assume the answer should be obvious. You need to consult with an experienced and skilled elder law attorney. An elder law attorney can help you navigate the most complicated and overwhelming area of the law. Elder Law is a specialty developed to serve the needs of seniors and those that will become seniors one day. In other words it is for anyone who wants to be old one day. Elder Law is much more that Estate Planning. An attorney specializing in Elder Law will help with the tough questions like:

1)  Who will make my medical decisions when I am no longer able to make them?
2)  If I unable to care for myself, how can I achieve the greatest quality of 
      care without bankrupting me or my family?
3)  Who will make my end of life decisions?
4)  What happens if I get sick and can’t stay in my home anymore?
5)  How am I going to pay for it?

Not many people look forward to giving up their independence and moving into a long term care facility, even if it is in their best interest. Fortunately, as our population has aged, care alternatives to the traditional nursing home have emerged, such as home care, assisted living, adult day care and senior apartments. These options can cost anywhere from $30,000 to $100,000 a year or more. Unfortunately, to pay for these services, many seniors will quickly go through their entire life savings and assets, when it is not necessary. There is a better way, that is to plan now! For example many people believe in the old notion that to protect their assets, they need to give away assets to family at least five years before entering a nursing home. First this is usually not true and further, while this may be a good idea for some, it is not for everybody. First, there is no guarantee that the nursing home is the best option. In fact no one ever wants to go into a nursing home. There may be other strategies available that will allow one to remain in their home, assist with the cost of home care or the expense of assisted living. Some of these options are exploring Veterans benefits for qualified Veterans and their spouses and using home based community care options. Second, if gifting is done improperly, it may cause you to lose Medicaid benefits you might otherwise be entitled to. Gifting your assets without the assistance of an experienced Elder Law attorney usually limits your choice and quality of care substantially.

Finally, there will be greater opportunities for better care at the least cost to those that become informed and seek the assistance of a experienced Elder Law attorney. For example, Who Can You Trust To Make Your Decisions When You Cannot Make Them Yourself? It is a common misunderstanding that your spouse or children can act for you during a disability. The truth is, if you cannot make your own medical and financial decisions, a court of law will. It is essential that everyone over 18 years of age creates a Durable Power of Attorney. A Durable Power of Attorney is a legal document allowing you to delegate your personal, health care and financial responsibilities to an agent. You decide who that agent is and how much power to give the agent. If you become incapacitated without a Durable Power of Attorney, no one can legally act on your behalf until the Court appoints a Conservator and/or Guardian. Court proceedings take time and money. There are no guarantees the Court will select the same person you would have chosen. But not all Durable Power of Attorneys are the same. You need an Elder Law Durable Power of Attorney. If you have a Durable Power of Attorney which has not been prepared by an Elder Law attorney, your planning options could be drastically limited without court intervention.

To locate Elder Law attorneys near you, search ElderCareMatters.com – America’s National Directory of Elder Care / Senior Care Resources for Families.


Don L. Rosenberg, Attorney and Counselor
The Center for Elder Law
Troy, Michigan 48098
Michigan State Coordinator for ElderCareMatters.com

Stay in Touch with Elder Care Matters

 Facebook  Twitter  Google Plus  Linked  Blogger

eNewsletter Sign Up

ElderCare Answers

If you need answers to your elder care questions, send your questions to us at:


Answers are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners, some of America's TOP Elder Care Professionals who have years of experience in helping families plan for and deal with a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services.

All Q&A's are posted on the homepage of ElderCareMatters.com

ElderCare Matters Articles

ElderCare Matters Articles are useful and up-to-date Elder Care / Senior Care articles that are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners to help you plan for and deal with your family's elder care matters.

If you help familes plan for or deal with elder care matters, then you owe it to yourself and to families across America to become a professional member of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on the many Elder Care / Senior Care Directories that are sponsored by this National Alliance of Elder Care Professionals.


For additional information about professional membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, (including the many benefits of becoming one of our ElderCare Matters Partners) and to download an Application for your Basic, Premium or Partner Membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, visit: ElderCare Matters Alliance.