“My parents had their wills, POA, Health Care POA, and trust set up in Missouri. They have since moved to Georgia. Do any of the documents need to be re-executed to be valid in the state of Georgia? My father has Alzheimer’s and could no longer execute any documents."

Answer:  Your best move is to contact a Georgia attorney ASAP.  For a listing of Georgia Elder Care attorneys, you can take a look at http://www.eldercarematters.com/georgia/

Generally, documents that are valid in the State where they are signed will be deemed valid in other States, even if the other States impose different or additional signing requirements (such as whether they must be notarized or whether they need to be witnessed, and if so, by how many witnesses).
Thus, the Missouri documents may be just fine for Georgia purposes, but only a Georgia-licensed attorney can answer that question with authority.

The fact that your father has Alzheimer’s may or may not impact his ability to sign documents.  Obviously, mild Alzheimer’s would not be an insurmountable problem, and even more advanced stages of the disease may not preclude a person’s ability to sign documents that set out his or her simple choice of who will be the person’s surrogate decision-maker.  What level of capacity is required to be able to sign different kinds of documents is a question of State law, so again, you are best advised to talk with a Georgia attorney at first opportunity.

If your father’s Missouri documents turn out to be invalid or unhelpful in Georgia, there may be a variety of things that can be done under Georgia law to protect his choices as previously set out in his Missouri documents.  For example, if your Georgia counsel reaches the conclusion that the Missouri documents don’t work in Georgia, you may be able to go before a Georgia court to have a guardian appointed for your father.  Your father’s expression of his choice as to who would make decisions on his behalf if he became unable to make them himself would, at the very least, be grounds for the Georgia court to appoint the very people your father had hand-picked while he was competent.

Scott A. Makuakane, Esq., CFP
Est8Planning Counsel LLLC
Honolulu, Hawaii  96813
Member of the national ElderCare Matters Alliance, Hawaii chapter

Stay in Touch with Elder Care Matters

 Facebook  Twitter  Google Plus  Linked  Blogger

eNewsletter Sign Up

ElderCare Answers

If you need answers to your elder care questions, send your questions to us at:


Answers are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners, some of America's TOP Elder Care Professionals who have years of experience in helping families plan for and deal with a wide range of Elder Care / Senior Care Services.

All Q&A's are posted on the homepage of ElderCareMatters.com

ElderCare Matters Articles

ElderCare Matters Articles are useful and up-to-date Elder Care / Senior Care articles that are provided by our ElderCare Matters Partners to help you plan for and deal with your family's elder care matters.

If you help familes plan for or deal with elder care matters, then you owe it to yourself and to families across America to become a professional member of the National ElderCare Matters Alliance and to be listed on the many Elder Care / Senior Care Directories that are sponsored by this National Alliance of Elder Care Professionals.


For additional information about professional membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, (including the many benefits of becoming one of our ElderCare Matters Partners) and to download an Application for your Basic, Premium or Partner Membership in the National ElderCare Matters Alliance, visit: ElderCare Matters Alliance.